Once upon a time there was a string freeze… pt.2

Since it probably looks like my favorite hobby is whining without a reason, let’s check what happened so far (always an optimist…) in this cycle.

Broken strings in Mozilla Beta

  • Bug 797036 – Update updater strings and icon
  • Bug 803344 – poor discoverability of the enable/disable menu item for Social API

Landing strings in Beta means that we did something wrong before (haste of moving forward features that weren’t probably ready, “we need this in ESR”, etc.).

Broken strings in Mozilla Aurora

Obviously the two changesets landed on beta, plus:

  • Bug 795691 – b2g fixes for the web console actors
  • Bug 800373 – Change marketplace strings to ‘Firefox Marketplace’

Consider several adding/removing strings both in beta and aurora (e.g. Bug 803630 or Bug 760951) and you’ll get the picture.

Bug 797036 is a good example of how bad we are working on the l10n side lately:

  1. changes land on central on Oct 02 16:34:08 (end of cycle is only 6 days ahead)
  2. the day after I wrote a comment in the bug about the bad review (that’s pure luck, I don’t work on localization every day, and there are very few localizers doing this kind of checks on central)
  3. nobody reacts, bad strings move to aurora and we need to break string freeze

For a starter a better review process could have avoided all this.